Where in the hell am I?

Stories from the road, and home, by a contract archaeologist.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

I work out of town a lot as a contract archaeologist. Sometimes it's interesting. It can be quite funny, although probably only to other archys. Home is Austin, with my wife and our cute kitty and all of our crazy friends.

Monday, January 28, 2008

Ouchie

I am battered and bruised all over from digging in the cave. Those rock walls are hard and craggy, and even the slightest bump seemed to leave at least a little red mark on me. Plus, today I was using a demolition hammer (which is like a small jackhammer). Unfortunately, if you don't hold it at the right angle, or if it hits a really solid piece of rock, the chisel bit slips. The end result was usually me bashing my arm or elbow into one of the many hard (and sometimes pointy) walls. After smashing out a whole lot of limestone, it turns out that the cave doesn't really extend as far back as we thought. Oh well.
I never did get around to bringing my camera out, so the cellphone picture will have to be it. Wednesday, I get to go do some actual archaeology!!!! Of course, it's in Longview, but it's still archaeological work and will involve some per diem, which is excellent because I am pretty damned broke right now. I'm not sure if we'lll be back on Thursday or Friday. I'm hoping for Friday, since that means extra money (and a day between 5-hour drives!)
Don't know if anyone has read this already, but THIS is where my office is located. The church converted one whole office building into their sanctuary, and has offices in the other. Frankly, it's a little embarrassing that our environmental services company, who won the Austin Kill-A-Watt Challenge for energy reduction last summer (in the business category), is even tangentially attached to this. We, of course, have nothing to do with it and no control over it whatsoever, but it's still a bit maddening. But that's megachurches for ya...
(disclaimer: I speak only for myself, these are only my opinions and not those of my employer, nor should they be viewed as representing in any way the views of my employer).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home