Where in the hell am I?

Stories from the road, and home, by a contract archaeologist.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

I work out of town a lot as a contract archaeologist. Sometimes it's interesting. It can be quite funny, although probably only to other archys. Home is Austin, with my wife and our cute kitty and all of our crazy friends.

Monday, December 31, 2007

And there it goes

Hard to believe this year is done already.
Archaeologically, it has not been a very exciting year for me. I began the year working on artifacts from a data recovery and then spending 2 weeks in the field finishing the dig. I ended the year being told not to come in to work for the last 3 days because there's nothing to do. Several projects are awaiting funding which may no longer be available.
Outside of that two week period digging on 41KM226, aka the Little Paint site, the only substantial excavations I did was at a site outside of San Antonio that I still can't say much about (although there's an article about someone else's excavations there in the current Bulletin of the Texas Archaeological Society). Much of this year was spent on short surveys and doing menial work at TxDOT. Not exactly exciting stuff, although it's always nice to get out in the field and walk around nature (except in swampy far east Texas). And at least it was work.
The outlook for the upcoming year is cloudy (isn't that what the Magic 8-Ball says?). One of our major project sponsors (TxDOT) is facing major budgetary cutbacks and an order to reduce the use of consultants. Plus, the contract for the in-house assistant job I've been sharing ends in March (mixed blessing for sure). On the other hand, the high price of oil and natural gas means there's lots of energy work to be had, and we're hoping to get several long survey projects. The downside is that these type of jobs usually involve avoidance of sites, rather than mitigation through excavation. So even if we find some kick ass sites, it mostly means that the lines will go around them.
Regardless, I will be very busy trying to make a jumble of notes, photos, drawings and references into an acceptable thesis. I'm going to be in archaeology up to my ears one way or another.
Happy New Year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home