Where in the hell am I?

Stories from the road, and home, by a contract archaeologist.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

I work out of town a lot as a contract archaeologist. Sometimes it's interesting. It can be quite funny, although probably only to other archys. Home is Austin, with my wife and our cute kitty and all of our crazy friends.

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Goodbye Junction

So tomorrow is the last day of the data recovery here in Junction. The last couple of weeks have been a challenge due to weird stratigraphy, strange weather, and tough dirt. There hasn't been the awesome finds that make the digs feel a little better, but we moved a hell of a lot of dirt.
Today was supposed to be warm and sunny, but it started out cool and wet. Then it rained pretty steady. Then it got sunny briefly and hot. Then it rained again and was really windy for like 15 minutes. Then it cleared up and was sunny and cool for the rest of the day.
On Tuesday we went for a hike after work, at South Llano River State Park.
The hike was nice, but we ended up underestimating how long the loop was, and by the time we finished it was dusk and the temperature was dropping and we were starving. Saw some cool birds, an armadillo, and a large cat track (mountain lion or bobcat). I realized that in my 13+ years of living in Texas, I've been to 3 State Parks: Garner, Lost Maples and now South Llano. Even worse is that the other two were in my first year of living here. I need to change that, maybe buy a parks pass or something.
Next time I post, I promise to talk about tektites.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home