Where in the hell am I?

Stories from the road, and home, by a contract archaeologist.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

I work out of town a lot as a contract archaeologist. Sometimes it's interesting. It can be quite funny, although probably only to other archys. Home is Austin, with my wife and our cute kitty and all of our crazy friends.

Thursday, April 24, 2008

mr. nice guy

So one of my sources (which I'm currently discussing in the work-in-progress) is a master's thesis by someone I don't know, but who is friends with friends of mine at UT. Her work is directly relevant to my thesis, and the excavation actually took place the summer of 2004, after I left Belize for Texas and CRM.
I'm trying to be very nice in my discussion of it, but the thing is...it's not a very good thesis, and I don't really agree with her interpretation of the excavation results. I'm trying to dance around this in the text, because I can fully relate to the time issues she experienced, but I don't think that's the ultimate issue.
I'm not trying to rock any boats with this thesis, because it's honestly not a subject I'm interested in at all, and therefore I have no desire to be pulled into the debates. I also know that there are some pretty big weaknesses in my own work that I can't fix due to data issues.
I just feel like this person had a fixed idea of what they were looking at and interpreted their limited data set to demonstrate that their idea was right. I'm going to have to make a least a passing mention of my problems with the interpretations of the data, because otherwise I'd feel like I was tacitly endorsing it.
And hope it doesn't come back to bite me in the ass.

Oh yeah, almost 2 pages written today during slow times at work, plus the image fixes. Of course, I then waited until almost 10 to get back at it...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home