Where in the hell am I?

Stories from the road, and home, by a contract archaeologist.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

I work out of town a lot as a contract archaeologist. Sometimes it's interesting. It can be quite funny, although probably only to other archys. Home is Austin, with my wife and our cute kitty and all of our crazy friends.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

True Texan


True Texan
Originally uploaded by texasrobo
I've always been secretly a little envious when I see trucks with waders tucked in the back. I have no idea why. One of the first things I thought about when I bought my waders was that I could tuck them behind the truck! Now I really wish I had picked up that cow skull.
I really like driving this Super Duty F250. It handles really well and has a good suspension. I haven't really tested the 4-wheel drive since the tires aren't really the right kind of off-road driving (especially the mudding I would be doing around here).
I avoided the really deep water today. The drill crew took pity on me and told me to go back once the water got knee-high. I was not looking forward to spending hours in thigh-high swamp water, walking in ankle-high muck, trying not to trip over submerged roots while keeping one eye out for water moccasins and the other for alligators. As it was, I slid into one of the wheel ruts and topped my right boot. Fortunately, I had a change of socks and boots in the truck.
Looks like I'll be heading back to Austin Thursday or Friday. I'm loving the money, but I'm ready to be home. I'm ready to have a full weekend again!

1 Comments:

Blogger Colleen said...

Those ford trucks are really nice. Rob and I rented (sorta by accident) an F250 a while ago and really liked how it drove. I don't like how they look as much as the 70s-80s iterations, but they sure drove a whole hell of a lot better.

I got a pair of knee-high galoshes for fording the UC Berkeley river at sproul (my fucking oxen died) but every time I wear them it stops raining midday.

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home