Where in the hell am I?

Stories from the road, and home, by a contract archaeologist.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

I work out of town a lot as a contract archaeologist. Sometimes it's interesting. It can be quite funny, although probably only to other archys. Home is Austin, with my wife and our cute kitty and all of our crazy friends.

Monday, February 18, 2008

Slogging along

So I'm in Alvin, Texas right now. It's the hometown of Nolan Ryan, legendary baseball player. It also seems to be just beyond the southern suburban limits of Houston, although that will likely change. The project area is in Rosharon, Texas about 15 miles west. They're doing drill holes for setting explosive charges, which will use seismic readings to look for oil (or something like that).
So basically, we have maps with all of the drill locations and we have to check these areas out prior to drilling. We also have to walk along the route the drill crew will take. Not too hard, although there's a lot of walking.
The problem is that it's been raining here a lot (including a couple of inches Saturday) and so much of the project area is inundated. I spent almost all morning walking through water anywhere from a half-inch to 4 inches deep. I'm told I'm lucky, because elsewhere there's areas up to your knees, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much. But nobody likes wet feet, much less for 8 hours! Plus, you have to keep an eye out for water moccasins (which apparently stink, so I guess you can keep a nose out too). On the other hand, you don't have to dig in saturated soils!
Speaking of snakes, tomorrow is an anniversary, so stay tuned!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never heard that about water moccasins. Now I wonder what they stink like but also hope I never find out first hand. Nor through you.

8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home