Where in the hell am I?

Stories from the road, and home, by a contract archaeologist.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

I work out of town a lot as a contract archaeologist. Sometimes it's interesting. It can be quite funny, although probably only to other archys. Home is Austin, with my wife and our cute kitty and all of our crazy friends.

Monday, February 25, 2008

Exhausted

I've been working 10-11 hour days on this monitoring project, and I'm starting to get worn out. My knee waders do a great job of keeping my feet from getting wet, but they're not comfortable for walking 2-3 miles a day. It's also really hard to walk through water and muck, even if you're not getting wet. I've also been carrying water and lunch and a small wooden screen everywhere. At least I haven't had to carry my shovel or dig a hole.
Tomorrow, the area I'm supposed to be in is apparently under almost 2 feet of water. The driller recommended bringing hip waders. My options in this area are limited, and ultimately I determined that I would have to drive 30 minutes to Bass Pro Shop and spend $60 plus tax. I decided I was too tired and that it wasn't worth it for something I will almost never use. My plan is to put plastic bags over my socks, then my knee waders, then my snakeguards and hope that forms a pretty watertight seal. If not, well, it's not like I wasn't completely soaked through several days already.
More pictures tomorrow...if I make it.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Jamie Brandon said...

Careful...I actually got "trench foot" doing survey for sesmic-prospecting in very similar circumstances back in 1995...very painful.

4:13 PM  
Blogger jlowe said...

Actually, one of the drill crew got some kind of foot fungus and had to miss a day of work and go to the doctor last week.

6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home