Where in the hell am I?

Stories from the road, and home, by a contract archaeologist.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

I work out of town a lot as a contract archaeologist. Sometimes it's interesting. It can be quite funny, although probably only to other archys. Home is Austin, with my wife and our cute kitty and all of our crazy friends.

Monday, November 26, 2007

I know, I know

I always intended for this to be a blog about me doing archaeology, rather than just me (although I did a fair bit of garden blogging). Well, I haven't done anything interesting archaeology wise in months. I got to wash and look at rocks briefly, got to write a bunch of very basic "cut-paste-change the name and numbers" reports, spent one day digging on a cave. The highlight of all of that was seeing an enormous wild pig about 20 feet away from me.
This week, however, I'll be heading up to Shamrock, Texas. That's in the Panhandle. It's on US 40, which is the old Route 66. Other than that, I don't know much about it. This will be my first time in the Panhandle, though.
Archaeologically, there's not many sites in Wheeler County, but there hasn't been much work either. The possibility exists of finding some Antelope Creek village sites or hamlets, which would be really cool. There also might be some Alibates stone tools. I need to not get my hopes up, because more than likely there'll be not much of anything but long, flat stretches of land.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home