Where in the hell am I?

Stories from the road, and home, by a contract archaeologist.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

I work out of town a lot as a contract archaeologist. Sometimes it's interesting. It can be quite funny, although probably only to other archys. Home is Austin, with my wife and our cute kitty and all of our crazy friends.

Thursday, October 12, 2006

A history lesson

Today was an easy day, very short. I took a nap and walked on the beach, where I saw a lot of dead fish and helped some lady who's X-Terra was stuck in the sand (not a good commercial). I also had a lot of drinks at the hotel bar.
Anyway, I decided the day before to use this forum as an educational opportunity, rather than gripe. So today we'll start with the King Ranch.
On Wednesday, we surveyed along the northern boundary of the King Ranch. Some people who don't know that there is an actual King Ranch might still know about King Ranch Chicken. The other reason you may have heard about the King Ranch has to do with Dick Cheney shooting someone in the face, but it wasn't exactly the King Ranch.
My perspective: The King Ranch was about a million acres of Texas that no one else wanted very much. If you've ever driven on US 77 to Brownsville, you've driven through King Ranch and know what I'm talking about. If it weren't for the discovery of oil, and the sheer size of it (probably bought at about 1 cent an acre), the King Ranch would be as anonymous as the rest of South Texas north of the Rio Grande Valley proper. I can tell you that the stretch along the Barney Davis Power Plant is pure Texas scrub, with no archaeological sites.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I thought bitching and teaching went hand in hand!

10:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

texans can also purchase a ford truck "king ranch" package, which has nothing much to do with the ranch, i assume.
-chew

8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i had no idea king ranch chicken came from a place. also, we always called it king's ranch chicken growing up, and it was by far my favorite casserole mom made.

11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home