Where in the hell am I?

Stories from the road, and home, by a contract archaeologist.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

I work out of town a lot as a contract archaeologist. Sometimes it's interesting. It can be quite funny, although probably only to other archys. Home is Austin, with my wife and our cute kitty and all of our crazy friends.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Muggy and buggy

That describes this morning, except during the 2 downpours. I think I have 50 mosquito bits, and I found a tick on my side when I got home. The rain mostly served to wash the bug spray off, and I was kind of damp the rest of the day.
The only interesting thing I saw was watching a deer totally eat it trying to jump a fence. I think another crew startled it, and it was running to the fence when it noticed us and jumped early. It kind of bounced off the fence and did a half flip backward and landed on its back. We were stunned, and a little worried that it was going to be badly hurt and that we might have to do something about it. But it rolled over, got up and ran a little ways before finding a place to crawl under the fence.
One last notable thing: there is a red tide off of Padre Island right now. When I'm outside of the hotel (not in the field, but near the Gulf) my throat starts to itch and I feel like there's something caught in it. So I've pretty much been staying in my hotel room after work. Fun times...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home