Where in the hell am I?

Stories from the road, and home, by a contract archaeologist.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

I work out of town a lot as a contract archaeologist. Sometimes it's interesting. It can be quite funny, although probably only to other archys. Home is Austin, with my wife and our cute kitty and all of our crazy friends.

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Shovels and such


My shovel today was very inferior. I looked all over for a visual reference and this was the best I could find. Our Truper shovels are apparently not for sale online.
The shovel on the far right is what we generally use: sturdy, square, long handle. We also sharpen them with a belt grinder, or at least a bastard file (I love that term). The second shovel on the left is a "sharpshooter", which is good for digging postholes. That's what I was using today, thinking I could dig a bit smaller hole in the loose sandy stuff we would find today near the Red River. Of course, the shovel had not been sharpened, and the soil was baked like a brick. Imagine trying to cut stale bread with the back side of a butter knife. It also turned out, somehow, that the short shovel was heavier than the long shovel.
The moral of the story: sharpen your shovels before you dig!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forgive me for responding to this so late but I just started reading your blog!

The few companies I worked for always had shitty shovels which no one really took care of. The same went for my college. I once considered buying my own and oiling it and sanding it and stuff but I was working mainly in Manhattan and I couldn't imagine taking a shovel with me on the subway!

1:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home